Wednesday, September 19, 2007

HOME GROWN MEALS

The other night I made a very simple meal from a few vegetables grown right where I work, at Bowood Farms. Molly, the young woman who takes care of the garden being grown there at Bowood had a few veggies to pass out to employees. Really, I think I might have been the only one who took a few, leaving some for anyone else who just might want them.

I was having a guest for dinner and wanted to use the veggies in a way that would be filling, tasty and not overpowering. After cooking some pasta (organic but unfortunately not whole grain) I put it aside and chopped up a little of everything that I had been given. There were chunks of pattypan squash, slices of zucchini, wheels of okra and pieces of sweet red pepper chopped into small dice. I also added some scallions and garlic that I had on hand and seasoned the whole lot with some herbs growing in my back yard and a little parmesano reggiano...all the way from the other side of the world.

The olive oil, black pepper, pasta and cheese were the only items that came from far away. It was so nice to know that just about everything my guest and I ate that night came from only a few miles from here.
I wish I had the wherewithall to really grow a great garden. It takes so much more time than one would imagine. I did it as a young person and if it's big, it's almost a full time project. So, I will be content purchasing from farmer's markets and supporting as much local produce as I can while growing my own small garden in my side yard and of course, growing herbs and being open to weeds and other wild growing things.

Tonight I sit here enjoying the last of that meal as leftovers. It is just as delicious but not quite as exciting as sharing it with someone. Eating the food, I remember the pleasant evening with my charming friend.

Tonight I had another friend here and she and I laughed about so much and had such a good time talking...but I'll tell you more about that another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home