Thursday, August 30, 2007

COBBLER, ROOFTOP RESTAURANTS AND LAUGHTER

Well, I had a wonderful lunch with a friend today and as an ending to our meal (and because I didn't want it to be over) I encouraged my friend to order (well, we encouraged each other, really) a dessert. The dessert we chose was a berry cobbler...juicy and full of dark berries with a buttery crust shaped like a tiny loaf pan. It had a huge pile of whipped cream on the side, of course. We tried, we really did, to eat the whole thing...it was sweet, smooth, rich; just delicious but we still could not eat it all. It prompted my friend to tell me a story about a tiny loaf of bread that he used to eat as a child. It was a charming story...much like him. It was a good time and left me not only wanting more (needless to say) but opened the afternoon up for me to remember how much joy resides in simple things . The simple act of talking with another human being, of laughing, of discussing whatever...what a wonderful human gift.

Oh, and just the other night I went to Vin de Set, a roof-top restaurant on Choteau in the city. It was a brilliant afternoon with perfect temperature for sitting out. Everything was good, really. I guess since I had a drink, some bread and condiments and a salad that's not saying much. My companions, however, had various chicken and other dishes and reported hearty "yums" so then..everything was good.
Especially good was the sitting on a building top enjoying the air, the sun on it's daily Western demise and the other diners enjoying themselves.
I went with two work mates and we just laughed and ate and talked and had a great ole time. It makes me miss my friend, Halla, who lives in England and who I haven't seen in several years. We used to have such fun together. It also kinda made me miss having a sweetie who I can go out with. I used to do that with an old boyfriend and together we enjoyed such laughter and fun.

I wanted to share with you a wonderful recipe for a really delish-sounding, if a bit unusual, salad...give it a try. I am going to make one for this Saturday evening. Come have a bite.

It's from goneraw.com

Grape and avocado salad

3 cups chopped seedless grapes
2 diced avocados
1/2 diced red pepper
1/3 cups diced sweet onion or scallion
1 diced Anaheim pepper
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
juice of 1 lime
salt/pepper--to taste
1 minced clove of garlic
alfalfa sprouts--as many as you want

Mix all in bowl. Cover & fridge for 1/2-1hr and serve.

Until next time, then...thanks for reading

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home