Thursday, February 26, 2009

DO YOU REMEMBER...

the way that the world smells right when the rain starts on a dry day?
I do...it's one of the most wonderful scents in the world. Fragrant, dusty and memory-inducing.

Lots of changing things in my life. I need a bit (wee bit) more money so I've applied for a couple of jobs. I think I might have gotten one that is going to be really rewarding. It is being a companion to a lovely, middle-aged woman who has some challenges. I and another woman are set to share this task as a live-ins. I am really looking forward to see what I might be able to add to her life...what I might be able to teach or show her about being independent.
And...I am so looking forward to going back to my job at the nursery. I miss all the wonderful people there and look forward to hanging with them again. Life is good...what can I say.

I have a good recipe from my lovely friend, Dwight...he has a birthday party every year and this and last year he has served this wonderful soup...an African sweet potato/peanut soup. I am going to enter that recipe here for your possible interest.

Here it is:
African Sweet Potato Stew with Red Beans

6 servings

2 t olive oil
1 1/2 Cups chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
4 C peeled cubed sweet potatoes
1 1/2 Cups cooked beans or 1 16 oz can
1 1/2 cups veggie broth or any broth
1 Cu chopped red bell pepper
1/2 Cup water
1 t grated, peeled fresh ginger
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground cumin
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (4 1/2 ounce) can drained, chopped green chilis
3 T creamy peanut butter
3 T chopped dry roasted peanuts
6 lime wedges.

Heat oil in skillet. Add onion and garlic; cover and cook for 5 min or until tender.
Place that mixture in a 5 quart slow cooker (or a large stewpot) add all the rest of the ingredients except peanut butter, peanuts and lime wedges. Cook in slow cooker 8 hours or in stewpot until done. Place 1 cup of cooking liquid in a small bowl, add peanut butter stir 'til smooth and then re-add to pot. Serve in bowls and garnish with peanuts and lime wedges.

This recipe comes originally from St. Louis Post dispatch and I thank them because it is delicious.

OK, that's all for tonight. Do try this recipe. It is hearty, delicious and healthy. Great for colder times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home