Friday, February 20, 2009

TEACHING SOMEONE TO COOK

You know, as long as I've been cooking healthy foods, I never realize how intuitively I cook until I'm trying to teach someone to prepare even a simple healthy meal.
This afternoon I'm scheduled to teach a friend how to cook a simple meal. Now I'm thinking, do I cut everything up first and put into little bowls, like they do on TV cooking shows? Do I print out a recipe, even though it is a recipe with maybe 5 or 6 ingredients? I'm sitting here wondering how to be the most effective teacher and still get a meal done early enough in the day so we can enjoy it before 10pm. Hmmm...I'll make it through, I guess.
I am going to teach a favorite soup of mine. It's a wonderful soup for cold times, both emotionally and weatherwise.
It is just potatoes, collard greens, carrots, onions and garlic. That is the whole basis of the soup. Then there's the herbs and any extras that one might feel like throwing in...Ah ha...I see, I really do need to write it down so someone can actually follow it who doesn't know food and cooking all that well. Ah, life is only learning, isn't it. So, I'll try it here:

3 small potatoes, cubed.
1 large onion, cut into medium dice
3-6 garlic cloves,diced
2 med carrots, cut into coins
1 large bunch of collard greens, cut into a chiffonade (thin spaghetti-like strips)
A couple of extra veggies like: 1/2 cup of corn, peas, beets,tofu or pretty much anything you like...or nothing additional.
1 teaspoon of the following: basil, oregano, thyme and sage.
1 Tablespoon of salt or several of tamari soy sauce...to taste.
A few tablespoons of olive oil.

For the finish of the soup...1 T olive oil, 1 T miso, 2 T balsamic vinegar and 1T nutritional yeast

Sautee the veggies, beginning with the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, in the olive oil. Add the potatoes, carrots and collards then.

Stir around in the pot over medium heat for a few minutes...maybe 5 or 10. Then add a couple of quarts of veggie broth or water with a veggie boullion cube and all the herbs and put the top on the pot and allow to simmer for about an hour.
When the soup has been simmering for 15 minutes or so, add a bit of salt, pepper and some tamari. Stir and taste then allow to cook until the veggies are as done as you like.
Just before you want to serve (with about 5 minutes of cooking time left) mix together the finishing ingredients above and add a bit of the hot soup to them...stir until dissolved and put back into the soup. Stir, cook another 5 minutes and then serve with bread or completely by itself.
It is hearty, delicious and comforting for the winter months.
Perhaps I'll add some photos if I can remember to take some.

1 Comments:

At 1:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

test

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home